Northern Petén combines vast forests, wetlands, Yucatan scrub and open habitat. The area is well worth several days of birding, but if you have limited time, also a one day tour can be very productive. Staying in Flores, El Remate, Tikal or Yaxhá, good birding sites are accessible right outside the door, or by drives between 15 min and 1.5 hours.
Tall broadleaf forest harbors forest specialists from the tiny Ruddy-tailed Flycatcher to the huge Crested Eagle. More than 100 species may be seen in a single day. Yucatan endemics such as Yucatan Flycatcher or Gray-throated Chat can be found in scrub areas. Small and extensive, open and wooded wetlands are home to birds such as Agami Heron, Boat-billed Heron, Limpkin, Ruddy Crake, Lesser Yellow-headed Vulture, and Anhinga. Open, savannah-like agricultural landscape is home to Vermilion Flycatcher, Fork-tailed Flycatcher, and Eastern Meadowlark. Get in touch to organize your full or half-day birding adventure in Petén.
CAYAYA BIRDING offers half and full day tours in Petén in northern Guatemala:
- Full day birding tour in Tikal: birding in Tikal from sunrise to sunset, with lunch break and with optional nocturnal birding.
- Half day birding tour in Tikal: morning birding from sunrise to noon, or afternoon birding including some nocturnal observations.
- Full day birding tour in Yaxhá: birding at the archaeological site of Yaxhá and at Laguna Yaxhá from sunrise to sunset, with lunch break and with optional nocturnal birding.
- Half day birding birding in Yaxhá: morning or afternoon birding at the archaeological site of Yaxhá or at Laguna Yaxhá.
- Half day birding tour in El Remate: morning birding in forest fragments and wetlands near El Remate.
CAYAYA BIRDING half and full day birding trips include:
- Expert birding guide.
- Entrance fees to protected areas.
- Private transport from and to your hotel in El Remate or Flores to Tikal or Yaxhá (in case you are not staying in a hotel at the sites).
- Bird checklist
Schedule: sunrise (05:00-06:00, depending on season) to 17:00 with lunch break, with optional nocturnal birding
Start and end point: your hotel in Tikal, Flores, El Remate, or Yaxhá.
We accommodate different trail difficulties according to your requirements.
What birders say about CAYAYA BIRDING day trips