Lake Atitlán is one of the main tourist destinations in Guatemala. Numerous hotels in Panajachel, San Pedro La Laguna, Santiago Atitlán, San Juan La Laguna, Santa Cruz La Laguna and other villages provide diverse lodging on the lake shore. A number of birding sites is accessible within 10 min to 1 hour drive or boat ride.
Much of the slopes along the lake shore is used for agriculture, but some fragments of dry oak forest remain, which are home to Chestnut-sided Shrike-Vireo, Blue-and-white Mockingbird, Orange-billed Nightingale-Thrush, Belted Flycatcher, Rufous Sabrewing, and Prevost's Ground-Sparrow.
Leaving the caldera of Lake Atitlán gives access to high-altitude sites with humid pine-oak forest, where birds such as Pink-headed Warbler, Rufous-collared Robin, Blue-throated Motmot, Yellow-eyed Junco, Slate-throated Redstart, Golden-browed Warbler, and Guatemalan Pygmy-Owl can be found. Birds such as Resplendent Quetzal, Azure-rumped Tanger, and Blue-crowned Chlorophonia can be watched in mid elevation cloud forests.
Climbing one of the volcanoes is strenuous, but rewading. The steep trails provide access to high elevation cloud forest with several birds found only there, such as Horned Guan, Garnet-throated Humminbird, or Black-throated Jay. In addtion, on days with clear weather you can enjoy a stunning view from the top of the volcanoes over Lake Atitlán and the Guatemalan highlands.
CAYAYA BIRDING offers half and full day birding trips at Lake Atitlán:
- Half day from PANAJACHEL at Lake Atitlán: birding in semi-humid pine-oak forest near Panajachel or high-elevation pine-oak forest.
- Half day from SAN LUCAS TOLIMÁN at Lake Atitlán: a birding morning in high-elevation pine-oak forest, scrub, or in cloud forest.
- Full day from SANTIAGO ATITLÁN at Lake Atitlán: a birding day in mid-elevation cloud forest and scrub, or in high-elevation cloud forest..
- Half day from SANTIAGO ATITLÁN at Lake Atitlán: morning birding in mid-elevation cloud forest.
- Half day from SAN JUAN LA LAGUNA at Lake Atitlán: birding morning pine-oak forest, scrub, and agricultural plots.
- Half day from SAN PEDRO LA LAGUNA at Lake Atitlán: birding morning in mid-elevation cloud forest.
- Half day from LAGUNA LODGE ATITLÁN at Lake Atitlán: birding morning in pine-oak forest and scrub.
CAYAYA BIRDING day tours at Lake Atitlán include:
- Expert birding guide.
- Private transport.
- Entrance fees to nature reserves.
- Hotel pick-up and drop-off
- Bird checklist
We accommodate different trail difficulties according to your requirements.
What birders say about CAYAYA BIRDING day trips
How to book your CAYAYA BIRDING day trip.