Photo of the Month
April 2016Guatemala is an attractive birding destination with more than 720 bird species and a high diversity of ecosystems. This website provides information on birding sites, photo galleries, and general information about land and people. CAYAYA BIRDING tours and day trips are designed for birders, led by Knut Eisermann and Claudia Avendaño. They are passionate birders and guides, live and study birds in Guatemala and have published numerous contributions to Guatemalan ornithology, including an Annotated Checklist of the Birds of Guatemala (Lynx, 2007). Since more than 10 years, they enjoy showing Guatemalan birdlife to world birders.
- Reports of the 2015 Christmas Bird Counts at Atitlan Volcano and in Antigua (February 2016)
- CAYAYA BIRDING Newsletter 10 (November 2015)
- Sibinal Birding Hotspot (October 2014)
- Laguna del Tigre National Park birding hotspot (posted Feb 2014)
QUETZAL TOURS (Fort Collins, CO) Guatemala Birdwatching Tour, November 2016
Join us on a relaxed 9-day birding tour to Guatemalan highland birding hotspots and Tikal, 5-13 November 2016.
CAYAYA BIRDING tours Guatemala
- birding tours from 4 to 21 days, see sample itineraries.
- efficient target trips to see your most wanted birds.
- scheduled birding tours.
- 1-day birding trips to some of the best birding hotspots in Guatemala.
- Christmas Bird Counts
Birdwatching Guatemala with CAYAYA BIRDING
At CAYAYA BIRDING Guatemala:
- we operate small group birdwatching tours to guarantee the best possible birding conditions, to keep our impact on the natural environment as low as possible, and to ensure personalized service. We lead tours in English, German or Spanish.
- we organize all ground travel using minibuses or coasters and, where necessary, 4-wheel-drive-vehicles. We stay in beautiful and peaceful eco-lodges and hotels, where you see birds even during your rest. Vegetarian meals and other special diets are always made available upon request.
- we have been successfully organizing and leading expert birding tours in Guatemala since 2003. Our knowledge on birds, people, and country is based on 20 years of ornithological field research, travelling, and conservation work. We reside in Guatemala, and when not leading birding tours, we are in the field finding out new things about special birds, training local guides, support the development of birding lodges and areas, find new and exciting birding hotspots, and support conservation initiatives.